Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premium Unleaded Gas in Mazda CX-7?
09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
I have only put regular unleaded gasoline into my 2007 Mazda CX-7. Last week I put Super Unleaded in it, and right after it, the 'Check Engine Soon' light came on. Is this connected?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
I can't think of any reason why it would be.
09-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Yes, most likely it is related. Because you have been using the wrong gas all these years the car's CPU had reprogrammed itself to compensate. The CX-7 has a high compression turbo engine requiring high octane fuel. Your CPU will reprogram itself again if you continue to use premium fuel. The check engine light could be related or not, just plug in your code reader and look up the code to see what the issue is. Could be an O2 sensor not used to the way the high octane gas is burning!

Update, @ Brian, read this http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/...its-64422/
An ECU does learn and change it's reactions, this is why you should not change back and forth from regular to premium but stick to one type of fuel.
Simply unplug your car battery for a few minutes to try to reset the ECU.
09-13-2012, 06:24 PM
That answer by beaven is so off the wall and wrong. It may be connected but the computer does not manage to "reprogram itself", if computers could reprogram themselves, then watch out, the one you used to write this might reprogram itself into a mass murdering robot!

Back to the point, it is probably a sensor that because of the new gas has tripped. No big deal, they can probably just reset it on the spot for free if you take it in. I have a 09 CX7 and i was told to put premium in(for better mileage and ware of parts) I flop in-between premium and regular all the time with no problems.
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.